Master’s Degree in Materials Engineering
What is Materials Engineering? It is the engineering sector that deals with:
– study and characterization of materials properties
– optimization of the use of materials in the various technological fields and improve their performance
– development and study of innovative materials
The materials engineer:
– develops, manufactures and tests the materials used to create the most varied products
– works with metals, ceramics, polymers, semiconductors and composites, to create new materials that meet mechanical, chemical, electrical, etc. requirements.
– has the ability to create and study materials starting from an atomic and molecular level, using advanced processes, replicating their properties at a macroscopic level
– is responsible for the research and definition of materials for the development of advanced technologies in the most varied sectors
– is responsible for researching and defining processes for obtaining and processing materials
– selects the best combination of materials for specific production purposes
– takes into account the environmental implications and possible sources of contamination in production processes and end-of-life materials
A short overview of the training in Materials Engineering
The course completes the training of materials engineers and prepares them for managerial and research and development functions, mainly in the manufacturing industry and related services. Compulsory in-depth courses are aimed at providing:
– completion of basic and methodological training
– tools for in-depth knowledge of all classes of materials (courses in Science and technology of ceramic materials, glass and composite materials)
– production methods of the different classes of materials
– mechanical design
– materials transformation and processing technologies
– selection and management of materials in operation
The courses are mainly in English.
With the elective courses the student obtains the widest preparation in the aspects most suited to his nature and his job expectations.
The training profile, from the A.Y. 2021-2022, is organized by joining one of the following 3 curricula:
– AMASE – Advanced Materials Science and Engineering [International Master that allows you to have a double degree, at least six months in one of the partner universities: https://www.eusmat.net/international-studies/master/amase]
– Functional materials (Materials for energy/Nano-bio materials)
– Materials for advanced technologies
The curricula offer a different articulation of compulsory and elective courses (with courses completely in English for the AMASE curriculum). Many courses include design, experimentation and analysis activities in teaching and research laboratories.
The opportunities for professional inclusion of MSc graduates in Materials Engineering are in the design, construction and development of complex and/or innovative products or processes in companies that produce or use materials, as well as in research institutions or laboratories operating in the field of new materials.
The strong interdisciplinary nature of this degree has allowed recent graduates in Materials Engineering to find employment in companies operating in various industrial sectors.
Compared to traditional industrial engineering specializations, the Materials Engineer is characterized by an excellent ability to adapt to the various problems of design with traditional and innovative materials. The employment prospects are consequently excellent, both locally and nationally, but above all in Europe, as shown by the statistics on the inclusion of materials engineers from all Italian universities. It is also confirmed by the interest shown by organizations of small, medium and large companies operating in the surrounding zones and representing extremely diversified sectors of activity.
The teachers have a relevant teaching and scientific research experience, implemented through consolidated collaborations both with companies and with prestigious international research groups. The background of the MSc graduate in Materials Engineering trained in Padova is among the most solid provided in Italy and it si particularly appreciated on an industrial level.
The most straightforward path to the Master’s Degree Course in Materials Engineering is from the BSc course in Chemical and Materials Engineering of the University of Padova. Information on access by students who have graduated from other universities, or who have obtained degrees in different disciplines, is shown on this page.